Everybody loves to have well-toned and firm muscles that you can show off where you go, and that is the same with triceps.
But as it is with most good things, this will take some hard work to have it and to keep it.
We take a look at a few workouts that will help you get better triceps and your whole body will benefit from it. So let us jump right into it.
Extension Workout For the Triceps
You will need a set of dumbells. For women, it should be 5 to 8 pounds entry-level weight, and for men 8 to 10 pounds.
- You should stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart in a relaxed manner.
- Take one of your dumbbells and hold it with both hands comfortably behind your neck. The position of the dumbbells should be roughly between your shoulder blades hanging downwards to the floor.
- Now push your arms up behind your head until they are straight up and make sure your elbows are straight as well.
- You should repeat this exercise between 8 to 12 times for maximum benefit and be careful to keep your arms straight all the time.
You should repeat this set of exercises 3 to 4 times, depending on where you are in your workout program. After every set of 8 to 10 stretches, you should rest only a short time for it to do the work for you.
Tricep Kickback exercise
You can use the same set of dumbbells for this exercise for both men and women to get the best benefits from the workout.
- Stand with your feet together in a firm stance as if you are going to ski and bend your knees slightly.
- Take a dumbbell in both hands and let your arms hang straight down to the floor next to your body.
- Now lift your arms straight up as if you are picking up two grocery bags to carry but bring your arms up to your body.
- The back of your arms should be straight and slightly higher than your back when they reach the top.
- Now straighten and extend your arms backward as if you are skiing and then bring back the arms to their original position.
Repeat this exercise 8 to 12 times to get the best from your exercise and repeat the set 3 to 4 times.
Dips For the Triceps
This is quite a difficult exercise to do, and you should slowly work your way to the target workout. Remember, you are supporting the weight of your body, and that is far more than just a small dumbbell.
You will need a low chair or bench to start with this exercise, and you can later, as you get better, use a higher bench.
- Sit down in front of the bench and put your hands on both sides behind you on the bench at shoulder width. You should position yourself as closely as possible to the bench so you will not overreach when you lift yourself up.
- Now push yourself up slowly with both arms until your arms are straight without locking them and then lower back to the floor.
Repeat this exercise about 12 to 15 times to get the best out of your exercise and repeat it 2 to 3 times.
Close Grip Pushups
This may seem like a boring exercise but is quite a good exercise to do for the triceps as well as for other muscles.
- Lay flat on the floor on your stomach and put both hands just below shoulder height on both sides of your chest. Your hands should be flat on the floor on the side of the body, just like in a regular pushup but closer.
- With your legs held straight and supported on the toes, push up with both arms at the same time lifting your body. With this, your whole upper body should be off the ground when your arms are nearly fully extended.
Best Tricep Workout Apps
There are two really good arm workout apps that you can use at home to build your triceps.
The first is Arm Workouts – Strong Biceps in 30 Days at Home. It is free and can be used by both men and women, but it is more aimed towards men.
The second option is Best Arm Fitness: Bicep, Tricep Upper Body Workout. It is also a free app and both men and women can use it. However, it has been designed with women in mind.
Always keep in mind that it is better to do the exercise correctly and have the right form rather than speed. Make sure you are doing the exercise right before you commit to the full set of exercises and reps.
With these exercises you can go and get those firm triceps you always wanted.